joy magnetism: Sorry, but my dance card is full.




@Joymagnetism, now on Instagram!

Friday, October 24, 2008

Sorry, but my dance card is full.

Magnet #245 - SoapNet 24/7

Pink for NBCAM. Check.

I've avoided writing up my tv show dance card, mainly because I'd have to use mousetype to fit all my shows on the card. But yesterday's Facts of Joy #4 said: "In any given week, I watch at least 30 hourlongs of scripted television. Which means I value television more than sleep. Yes. I know. There's something wrong with that."

Indeed.

By my convoluted math, if I watched full seasons of all my shows back to back, it would take about a month and a half of me watching television 24/7 before I was done.

The below list is in no particular order, and includes all the shows that I watch that are still on the air (even if they're not on currently). It does not include the fact that this year, in an unprecedented move, I've broken up with a few shows (Pushing Daisies, Ugly Betty) and cut new shows from the roster early (The Mentalist [sorry, Simon and Owain], Eleventh Hour [sorry, Rufus], and Life on Mars [sorry, Jason]), and I've almost stopped watching my soap operas (sorry, Thorsten).

*Oh, and it does include shows that I know I'll probably watch when they debut. Beyond this list, I cannot add any more shows. Nope. Thank God I don't watch any unscripted television.

ABC (10)
Private Practice, Dirty Sexy Money, Eli Stone, Brothers & Sisters, Grey's Anatomy, LOST, All My Children, Cupid*, Castle*, Single with Parents*

CBS (5)
The Ex-List, Ghost Whisperer, Numb3rs, The Unit, Flashpoint

NBC (8)
Knight Rider, My Own Worst Enemy, Crusoe, Lipstick Jungle, Chuck, Heroes, Friday Night Lights, Kings*

FOX (4)
Fringe, Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles, Bones, Dollhouse*

The CW (6)
90210, Privileged, Valentine, Gossip Girl, One Tree Hill, Supernatural

TBS (2)
The Closer, Saving Grace

USA (4)
Psych, Burn Notice, In Plain Sight, The Starter Wife

A&E (1)
The Cleaner

BBC-A (11)
Doctor Who, Torchwood, Top Gear, Gavin & Stacey, Cash in the Attic, Primeval, Skins, Graham Norton, Robin Hood, MI-5, Merlin*

AMC (1)
Mad Men

SoapNet (2)
GH: Night Shift, MVP

ABC Family (3)
Lincoln Heights, Greek, Diary of an American Teenager

FX (1)
Sons of Anarchy

HBO (2)
Entourage, True Blood

Lifetime (1)
Army Wives

Showtime (1)
Diary of a Call Girl

Sundance (2)
Architecture School, Iconoclasts

Total: 64

Gravy. I watch television like it's my job. Someone tell me again why the hell I'm not in the industry again?

eta:
I totally forgot about the Sundance Channel. Sorry, Bob.

eta2:
Though no one really reads past entries, I'm totally going to start crossing out shows that are canceled, if only to help me keep my own sanity. Heh.

Pin It!

7 comments:

Erika said...

You cut The Mentalist but you're keeping Knight Rider?!!! Seriously???

joy said...

Mentalist Pros:
- Simon Baker.
- Owain Yeoman.

Mentalist Cons:
- Boring procedural cases.
- Snarky main character, borderline asshole.
- Owain's character's a pansy.
- Can't stand Robin Tunney.
- Can't stand Amanda Righetti.

Knight Rider Pros:
- Justin Bruening, who can't act, but is hot and often found shirtless.
- Great remake of the original themesong.
- Relatively neat special effects.
- Pretty cars.

Knight Rider Cons:
- Val Kilmer as KITT.
- Gratuitous T&A, but that's ok, as long as JBru gets equal time shirtless. Did I mention shirtless?
- Silly plotlines that you can hit mute on and just look at a pretty (shirtless) boy.

joy said...

BTW, I never said there was any accounting for taste. Mine are all over the place. It's why I could never be a Nielsen family - I'd screw up their demos all to hell.

The Geek said...

I broke up with Ugly Betty this year, too. And I don't even know why. I just never started watching it again, even though I adored it the last few seasons. Haven't heard anything amazing to make me want to go back and catch up, either...

joy said...

I did this thing last year, where I started to tier my shows to DVD, in anticipation of the strike. After it was all done, I had about 20 "Various Shows" dvds filled with anywhere from 4-8 hours of shows.

Then, it became, ok, I have 20 DVDs to watch: what did I care enough to catch up on the shows, and what didn't I miss. Some were ultimately canceled, so they shouldn't technically count, but the shows that were cut were:

Pushing Daisies
Ugly Betty
Prison Break
Men in Trees
Reaper
Big Bang Theory
Kyle XY
Wildfire
Big Shots
Journeyman


This topic has spurred conversations in a number of places, L&B and here and in the office. I think people are a little jarred by how much TV I do end up watching.

I still say that some people are voracious book readers. Some people are avid sports fans. Some people love to climb rocks.

Television IS A VALID HOBBY. Hahahaahah.

Anonymous said...

If it makes you feel any better I listed all of my shows. Yeah, I am just as bad as you are.

ABC: (13)
Dancing with the Stars (2), Samantha Who?, Eli Stone, Pushing Daisies, Private Practice, Dirty Sexy Money, Ugly Betty, Grey's Anatomy, Brothers & Sisters, LOST, AMC, OLTL.

CBS: (8) The Big Bang Theory, HIMYM, NCIS, CSI:NY, The Ex List, Numb3rs, Cold Case, The Amazing Race. On occasion I also watch Ghost Whisperer and CSI.

CW: (5) Gossip Girl, OTH, 90210, Privileged, Supernatural.

Fox: (2) House, Fringe. I'll probably check out Dollhouse too.

NBC: (7) Heroes, Chuck, ER, The Office, SNL, 30 Rock, FNL.

ABCFam: (2) Kyle XY, Greek.

TNT: (1) The Closer.

SciFi: (3) Stargate Atlantis, Sanctuary, Eureka.

Lifetime: (1) Army Wives.

USA: (4) Monk, Psych, In Plain Sight, The Starter Wife.

I also cut The Mentalist, and had a very similar Pro/Con List.

I love TV. I can't help it. It is who I am and what I do.

joy said...

Hah! I knew bethie would be up there with me!