joy magnetism: The red dog barks at midnight




@Joymagnetism, now on Instagram!

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

The red dog barks at midnight

Magnet #235 - Spy vs. Spy

My Own Worst Enemy on NBC has been very, very low on my 2008 Fall TV dance card. In fact, I didn't even know it'd been invited to the ball.

Even after it made it to my radar, I ignored it. Can you blame me? Especially given the last few years of high-profile film actors in high-profile flops that drew me in with their incredible marketing budgets, only to suck majorly and get pulled within a few airings. So, yeah, I totally ignored this show.

As of this writing, I haven't read a single review. After this writing, I'm heading over to see what Sepinwall, Televisionary, and maybe even TV Squad thought.

In the meantime, I'm going out on a critical limb here. It was actually pretty good. Surprisingly so. Christian Slater was actually pretty good. Not surprisingly so.

The concept, not a bad one. Henry just learned that through the miracle of government science, he's actually Edward, a secret agent 19 years in service, and he (Henry) is the split personality who has a whole real family, fake job and fake identity...and who doesn't know the secret agent.

I know. Confusing. I can't even imagine what the pitch meeting was like. To the network. Or to Christian Slater. Actually, for it being a pilot, they did an ok job of explaining what his story was. And Christian Slater, him being Christian Slater and all, does a pretty darn good job of keeping his character personalities different.

Yes, of course, there were some cheesy lines. It wouldn't be an action drama without them. But, they'll be easily overlooked if they keep me on the line. They kept me watching with interest for the hour, which means that they automatically get a second viewing on next week's dance card.

And I'll even overlook the part where they put a Merlin Jones-esque fishbowl on Christian's head.

eta:
Sigh. Well, I won't retract any of my unfiltered opinions above. But, all of my favorite reviewers hated it.

No worries, I'm used to always being the last one on God's green earth watching certain shows.

eta2:
Ya know what? After having read a few reviews, I really
am gonna be the last one on God's green earth watching this show.

Pin It!

4 comments:

Erika said...

I didn't think it was half bad. Somewhat clever in certain parts. Henry's bafflement was quite believable.

Anonymous said...

I liked it too. From comments over at TVGuide, it seems that there are a lot of people who liked and it don't really care what the critics think. And Christian Slater... what more can I say... he worked it OUT! Didn't see the HenryAsTheSplit thing coming, that's for sure.

joy said...

Fab, that makes 3 of us! And some unknowns over at TVGuide. Nice.

CS was really good.

I didn't see the Henry/Split thing, either, agd. The reveal was well-done. And well-delivered, methinks.

Well, I guess we'll see if this show can build its audience. The numbers weren't as good as the were hoping, but cross your fingers!

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed watching it. Glad CS is working again. The show reminded me of "Mr. and Mrs. Smith" and "True Lies"— both guilty pleasures. Able to be funny at times and suspenseful at others. A kinda funny and imaginative twist on the buddy cop thing.